Kauai: The First Full Day

First of all, let me go over the plane trip.  It was a late start--Having left a half hour later due to a minor plane repair.  We got airborne and things were going well.  I had a nice, normal-sized guy beside me instead of an obese chatterbox.  I tried to make my seat recline but couldn't get it to go.  I asked Suzie and she couldn't get hers to move either.  Then I spotted this sign below the window.  Apparently, we ended up in seats with the emergency aisle behind us.  The good part of the trip:  They actually gave us freebies!  We got macadamia nuts, cookies, and even complimentary Mai-Tai's!

Our rental car was to be a compact.  In my feeble little brain, a compact is simply that:  A compact.  There is only one classification below that, and that is a sub-compact (or economy).  Well it turns out that our "compact" is a brand new (duh) Chevy Malibu LT with all the bells and whistles.  Cavernous trunk, sunroof, all leather... It's all there.  Thanks Hertz.  Even though I would rather it was slightly smaller, I'm growing fond of it.  It's a good car to tool around in with four people.

Anyway, back to last night.  We got in pretty late.  It was almost midnight Seattle time, which is 3 hours past my usual bedtime.  By the time we stopped yakking with Sue's parents it was about 3am Seattle time.  I was dog tired.

Today was great.  We spent the morning driving around with Flynn and Maggie (Sue's parents).  We had a nice noon breakfast out, and hit a few stores like Costco and Walmart.  Funny--It seems like everywhere we go, Flynn knows someone.

Today was a rare treat.  I got to witness and take pictures of guys setting up a traditional imu, which is the cooking of a pig wrapped in banana leaves over a pit.  I believe imu is the pit itself, but I'm not sure.  It was cool!  I felt very privileged to have been invited to watch the whole process.  Anyway, Flynn and I went over to Robert's house... Just a few blocks away from here.  Robert is a seasoned professional at the art of cooking with the imu.  He did it for a job at a local hotel here for several years.  Anyway, I watched and snapped pictures of the whole process as it unfolded.  The readying of the fire, the splitting and separating of the banana tree stalk, the preparing of the pork (they used huge pork roasts instead of a whole pig--Much more practical), covering the pork with banana leaves--You name it.  I watched, impressed, as a knowledgeable team of guys worked to complete the long, tedious process.  I will eventually end up with the entire series of pictures on our Smugmug page, but for now I'll just post these couple of pictures.

Tonight Suzie and I took a drive down to the local beach.  After all, we had been here for a whole day and still hadn't been to a beach yet!  We went at dark, and being the smart girl she is, Sue took a flashlight.  It was beautiful and peaceful.  As we walked down the beach, it got darker and darker.  We spent some time there standing at the edge of the water, talking and enjoying the breeze and warm air.  When we headed back we found ourselves in the midst of a crab event!  It seemed like the farther we went, the more we ran into these ghost crabs.  They were in all sizes--Some so small they were more like insects.  The funny thing about them was the fact that they would tilt themselves up a little when they ran--Kind of like they were running on edge--And they ran FAST!  A couple times we found ourselves jumping because they ran at us.  The link above said they can run up to 10 miles per hour, and I believe it.  They ran way faster than we could!

Pretty interesting day!

0 comments: