Number Two!

Happy Anniversary to me and my wife of two years!

Like many married couples say, it seems longer.  I know, I know--Most of them say that to be funny--but it really does seem longer.  I'm not saying a lot longer, but longer nonetheless.  In a good way.

Who would have ever thought that I would end up married to the receptionist that peeked at me through the "talk window" at LaCroix Industries when I first applied for a job there back in 2002?  I'm sure that was the farthest thing from either of our minds back then.  Probably double for her--knowing the caliber of riffraff that applies for work there like she does.  There have been some "class acts" that have wandered in there.  Over the years she really came to appreciate that piece of security glass that separated her from many of those job-seeking vermin.

Like almost all marriages, we are both a good match and a not-so-good match.

I'm sure she would love it if I were a Witness like she is (as many of her friends and family probably would as well), but that isn't the case.  I respect her choice of religion as I would anyone else for theirs.  We sometimes have conversations about biblical things, and she being the knowledgeable student of such things that she is, is always quick and eager to explain how it really happened.  I'm sure she notices when my eyes glass over, but she makes no mention of it.  Conversely, I'm sure she winces inside when I bring up some of my notions of religion--usually based on science-fiction or pure speculation.  If she does she keeps it pretty well hidden.  She does always volunteer tidbits such as, "You is a weird man" or similar.

Suzie is bossy, and I'm opinionated, but both of us are stubborn.  That means that neither of us are comfortable with giving up any ground when the situation arises.  We usually do of course.  That's what married people do.  She has forced me many times to talk about what was bothering me when I didn't want to.  I have always been the one that liked to let things be.  Not Suz.  She won't let anything be.  If there is a situation that needs to be addressed, she gets after it.  I've watched her patching things among her family members far too often, but you know what?  It gets done.  She won't rest until there is harmony within the ranks.

We are different in our shopping styles.  I like to wander.  She likes to "speed shop" with her list.

I like a restful day.  Suzie is a doer.  If a day goes by and she didn't do anything productive, she gets into a bit of a funk.  She likes to recite the things she got done at the end of her day.  I have been surprised more times than I can think about the things that she has done during a day while I was at work or whatever.  She should be a blister-packed toy action figure at Toys R Us.  Action Suzie!

We really enjoy our trips together.  Our traveling styles are very similar.  The pace, the likes--even snacking and eating--are close enough that our trips end up being very enjoyable.  Even day trips and weekend excursions.  She's a good travel companion.

How many married couples end up at 50+ years old sharing a hobby?  Probably only the recently-remarried ones.  People that have been married for years and years are lucky to share even a meal or a car ride, and even then it's probably in silence.  Our shared hobby of photography tends to be some of the best times we've ever spent together.  We are lucky in that regard.

Suz is very, very proud of her place here, and she loves to maintain and to mow.  I really have no say-so in any of that, and rightly so because it's flawless the way it is.

I'm sorry for all my imperfections Suzie, but at least I put the toilet seat down.  I always will.

Happy Anniversary, Suz!  I love you very much.  I always will.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Excellent #2 blog. I'd say you said it just right. But we are on our 49th year and share almost everything, computers, faith, kids, tastes, feelings and know many others that share everything after 30, 40, 50 years. Very happy you 2 are meshing so well, she finally found a gem. You will find more closeness as it goes on too. Love you two, Ma n Pa in Kauai

Judy said...

Happy anniversary you two!!*hugs to Suzie :)

Sue Z Q said...

haha - you didn't get a hug from Judy! haha!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary uncle rick and aunt suzie!

Aaron and I were JUST talking about long lasting relationships over the weekend. We attended his grandparents 60th anniversary and thought to ourselves, how does anyone live with someone that long? Well, they have separate bedrooms! I hope a king size bed is enough for us!

Janie