Quiet House

Yesterday was a strange day in many ways.

I didn't get up with the alarm clock.  The reason?  I was to drop Suzie off at the airport at 9am-ish so it really didn't make sense to go to work for an hour, go back home to pick Suzie up, drive back to the airport and then return to work.  If any of my readers know where I work, the proximity from work to airport is not all that far, so it made more sense gas-wise to just hang out and deliver her to her flight and then go to work.

She has been gearing up for her trip for quite a while.  Her annual visit to her folks' house in Anahola, Kauai is something she looks forward to.  Because she is a workaholic she always has a list of stuff she will accomplish while she's there, and this visit is no exception.  We have an arrangement that I will go with her every other year, and because I went last year (that was my inaugural visit to that beautiful island) she is going solo this year.  She also usually travels with something she is going to deliver to her parents' house.  This year it is a disassembled cast iron garden planter.  It's not big, but it has a lot of pieces, and they all weigh like they are made of... cast iron.

She covers herself pretty well when she flies.  It's something like 5 hours to get there, and that means a person has to have a lot of stuff to occupy their time.  Because you can only get so much play time from a battery, she ended up with movies to play on her laptop and a portable DVD player both.  She also kept saying, "Don't let me forget my wrap!"  The "wrap" she spoke of was a flour tortilla sandwich wrap that she bought for her trip.  Wouldn't you know it--we were blasting down the road this morning when she says, "My wrap!"  Ha, we turned around and went back (luckily we weren't far away yet) to get it.  Funny thing--remember me saying the whole day was strange?  Well, I got up without the alarm clock, but did still make myself a sandwich for lunch.  I had no sooner dropped her off at the airport when it hit me:  I forgot my sandwich!  No biggie--I just worked through lunch.  No reason to stop when I had no sandwich, but I did benefit from making up a little time.  The important thing was that Suzie had her wrap.

Yesterday evening a special event took place when a few folks from work met up with Bruce and his wife at Anthony's in Des Moines for a drinks and eats.  I used it as the perfect excuse to take the Harley on a ride.  It ended up being a lot of fun.  Good people, good food & drink, and a good ambiance.  It was good to see Bruce again, and it was also good to finally get a chance to actually talk to his wife, Debbie.  Because it was a nice evening sky and light traffic, it was a good ride home.

To a quiet house.

1 comments:

Maggie said...

Hokay, Rick,I hope you keep emailing your blog link to me because the last one was overlooked or somethin so I never saw it til I got this one. I insist! Ask Suzie how it is here, I just walk 3 steps toward somewhere and say, what was I doing? That's why I need the link, thank you. Luvya..