Home Sweet Desk

I'm back. After a two-week training hiatus from my new job, I'm back.

I seem to have come back with a different mindset. I don't know why. It had nothing to do with the classes I took. As a matter-of-fact, the classes I require as part of my new position aren't even finished yet. I've still got two others to attend before I'm "complete" as it were.

No, I came in this morning carrying stuff.

You know how when you see someone leaving a job on a TV show or movie they are always carrying a box containing their possessions? The box always seems to have a plant poking out of the top of the box too. I've joked with Sue about it recently, asking her if she had taken a plant to work yet. Last week when she got the word that her "temporary" job was going to be coming to a close I told her, "Don't forget to bring your plant home."

I have a few stupid things that were with me at my previous job. Actually, one of them from even before that.

This morning I carried a bag in to work. It contained food items (of a snacking nature) as well as desktop "toys" that are a requirement when you have a cubicle desk job like I have. So when I got to work this morning, I sat down in my brand-new ergonomic Cadillac of an office chair that showed up while I was gone (after unwrapping the plastic off it of course) and carefully placed my old familiar desktop toys around my desk.  Among them:
  • A Silly Slammer - Given to me by Sarah many years ago during my previous stint at Boeing.  You smack it down against a hard surface and it says, "Yada, yada, yada" or "whatever" each time.  It only has those two sayings.
  • A "cow call" thing - At my previous job I put a plain white wrapper around it and labeled it "this side up".  However I purposefully labeled it upside down so people would see it with the arrows facing down and want to turn it over.  Cheap trick to get a moo.
  • A fiber optic Christmas tree - Sarah gave it to me this year, and it plugs into a computer USB port and changes color.  Perfect for an office.  I like it!
  • A giant bag of peanut butter M&M's - No explanation necessary.  Well, except the size.  It's huge.
In addition to the aforementioned chair, I also had another Boeing t-shirt (promo) and a Hostess Zinger (apparently someone handed them out to everyone one day) waiting for me in my cubicle.

Don't you just love stuff like that?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Ohhh don't eat the Zinger. That's gonna be worth something!

Rick Williams said...

Too late!