Gearin' Up

I've been whiny about my camera for quite a while now.  I'm quick to point the blame at it when it fails me in some sort of color or exposure situation.  I don't blame it when I don't compose a picture right, or when I just plain screw up.  I also fail to give it a thumbs-up when I get a batch of pictures that is really good.

The plain truth is I needed to upgrade.

I needed it so I could stop blaming the camera and zero in on the idiot-behind-the-lens factor.  I needed it to give me a mental refresh.  I needed it so I could once again be inspired to get out there and stretch my photography skills a bit.  I was also a little jealous of Sue's new camera.  It sounded so precise and it felt so precise--It was just a whole new level of camera.  Even though I'm fully aware that you can take phenomenal pictures with any camera, I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel left behind when she upgraded.  I hesitated for a long time--mostly for monetary reasons.  I also kept coming back to the gnawing voice inside my head that said, "If you get a nice camera, you will be solely to blame if you still crappy shots, and you'll never hear the end of it."

I have been watching cameras on Craigslist and on a photography geek forum that I peruse a lot, and had a hard time deciding on what to get.  I thought I knew the level I of equipment I wanted, but wasn't sure until lots of time and research went by.  It boiled down to a "bang for your buck" thing.

So yesterday I bought a 7D.

I had to buy a Canon of course, because that's what all of our lenses fit.  To boil it down to layman's terms, there are two types of cameras in the digital SLR world:  Full frame sensor and non-full frame (also known as crop sensor).  Full frame cameras are the cream of the crop for professional photography.  The 7D is the top of the crop sensor line.  I guess they call it a crop sensor camera for professional photography.  Obviously, it's a lot of camera for me.  It was used, but looks brand new in every way.  It came in the box with everything it was sold with--some of it still unopened.  I got it for almost exactly half of what the guy paid for it a year ago.  He apparently came to realize that he didn't use it enough.

Sue was pretty miffed.  Not that I spent the money, but because the 7D was the camera she wanted when she bought her brand new 60D.  When we sat down and ran down a comparison I found on the web (and physically comparing them side by side), we found them to be identical is so many ways that they are like brother and sister.  Mine shoots faster than hers if I put it on continuous and just hold the shutter down, but so what?  That's a feature I hardly ever use anyway.  They are both just about equally complex too, so we can help each other out when we discover something new or can't figure out how to do something.

Am I intimidated by its complexity?  You bet!  Do I like it?  You bet!

Now what the heck am I going to whine about?

2 comments:

Sue Z Q said...

Oh, you'll find something to whine about - I'm sure of that . . . "Ow, this camera's too heavy - it hurts my shoulder!" and things such as that!

Maggie said...

So what did you used to whine about?