The Monday Morning Report

I got a lot of overtime this last week.  I worked the equivalent of two extra days I think--I'm not sure.  For some reason I can't keep a grasp on the math.  Maybe I'm still in shock.  The inventory at work is long and tedious and we're still not done.  It will be a tasty paycheck this Friday.

My 365 Project blog is up and running--So far, so good.  I have only posted 4 days worth, but they are going well.  It's apparent that I don't select the best shots of my group of pictures (when there are enough to pick from) by gauging Suzie's reaction, but that's okay.  I've got 361 more tries to get it right.  I've only done an "artistic" shot one time so far, and that was my first post.

I felt so bad for Suzie yesterday.  Her portable greenhouse was blown over by the wind some time mid-morning.  The seedling tray was upside down and everything was messed up, but the seedlings seemed intact.  We got it picked back up and set it up a little better to keep the front legs (made from steel tubing) from sinking into the ground.  Around 7 o'clock in the evening we had a repeat.  Her frustration was apparent.  This time a few of them were damaged.  It's actually attached to the wall behind it now like we should have done to begin with.  The whole situation took me back to a time in my childhood when a similar thing happened:

I don't remember what grade of school I was in, but it was pretty early--Like maybe second grade.  Our class had all been carefully nurturing watermelon seeds in the classroom for several weeks.  They were all planted in cut-down pint milk cartons, all lined up on the window sill in class.  They were doing well, but as most kids would probably similarly recall, I'm sure mine was one of the best.  The anticipated date had arrived: Mother's Day.  I walked the 6 or 7 blocks back home that day, cradling it proudly in front of me.  I couldn't wait to see the look on my mom's face when I presented it to her!  I'm sure my mind was full of all kinds of thoughts of pride and anticipation.  I was only about 100 feet from home when I tripped and fell, spilling the perfect little seedling out of its little home and all over the ground.  I was devastated.  I went into the house, crying my eyes out.  Mom came out with me and lovingly gathered it all up from the ground where I had left it, doing her best to reassure me that it was okay.  If memory serves me, it did survive okay, but I just remember it as one of the worst memories of my childhood.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  From that experience, the memory flooded back to me again yesterday as Suzie and I scooped up her damaged plant babies.

Sarah and I spent the afternoon at my parents' house with the others of the Williams clan.  We had a good time and had plenty of good food.  I wandered around their back yard taking pictures at one point--Trying to capture some sort of their decorating quirkiness that I might be able to use on my 365 blog.  After I was done with the camera Sarah wandered around in their house with it.  She didn't bring hers, but was apparently wishing she had done so.  She expressed an interest in doing a 365 project of her own, but I cautioned her--Telling her that you practically have to think "picture" everywhere you go, and take your camera with you practically everywhere you go.  It's good to see her interest in it though.  Although she still has issues with camera settings, her pictures are much more appealing than mine are.

Back to work today, and most likely another overtime day.  Not so tomorrow though--I have an appointment at the Costco optometrist for an ocular upgrade.  It's long overdue.  My current glasses aren't very old, but the quality of them is horrible.  Lesson to anyone that has a Fred Meyer near you:  Don't buy glasses at Vista Optical.

1 comments:

Sarah said...

That was a tear jerking story!