Appreciation

I've come to appreciate a lot of things as I've gotten older.  I don't think they're new discoveries really, but rather I think I've just noticed that I appreciate them.

Like recycling for example.  I hate it when I see someone ignoring a recycling possibility.  First of all, I'm not a Greenpeace fanatic or a holistic wearer of Birkenstock sandals and hand-woven wool socks--All my friends know that.  However, I like to think that, given the chance, I will always tend to be conscious of where I'm tossing something or whether I need to toss it at all.  I don't confront someone with bad choices, but I may cluck my tongue or wrinkle my lips in disapproval when I see someone making a bad choice.  I will, however, say something when someone throws something on the ground instead of in the trash.  I go, "Hey!" and when they look, I point.  Most of the time they pick it up.  I don't care if they mutter under their breath--The desired result was achieved.  Obviously, I'm going to use judgment and not say anything if I think my life would be in danger for opening my big mouth.  The bottom like is that I appreciate anyone recycling anything.  I guess that's why I'd rather fix things than replace them.

I like to sit outside in our hot tub on a cold mornings and watch the birds enjoying our provided feast of suet, seeds, and dried corn.  I never knew that before.  There is something very, very peaceful about it.  I have come to be aware of lots of different bird varieties, and have reasonable success at identifying them.  I'm even okay with the squirrels.  I know many people aren't.  They are, after all, rodents.  They're not even native to us here (they're Eastern Gray Squirrels) but they have pretty much established themselves as natives.  Until such time as I catch one doing damage to the house, I will enjoy watching them too.

Although I don't get much of a chance to, I really enjoy sitting somewhere and enjoying a vista.  Sunrises and sunsets are especially good, however fleeting they may be.  A nice view of a valley, a mountain, a forest, a river or lake--I don't care.  If it's a beautiful setting I could sit there and admire it for a long time.  Although I'm not a religious person, I guess that's my brush with spirituality.  Maybe that's why I like traveling to places so much.  A hundred lifetimes wouldn't be enough for me to see and appreciate all this planet has to offer the senses.  What is it about watching a fire or ocean waves that makes us "zone out" and get lost in thought?

Sue always makes fun of the fact that I can't pass up an animal without petting it (within reason of course).  I think I've always been that way but I've never really thought that much about it.  I guess I like the fact that an animal trusts me enough to let me into its personal space.  I like to experience their reaction to a touch, pet, or scratch.  Sure, sometimes I feel like I should wash my hands right away on occasion, but I guess I like to put myself into their skin:  If I were this animal and didn't have fingers that could touch or scratch, where and how would I like that scratch administered?  I would like to see all the zoos closed down.  Why should we jail the animals just so we can stare at them?  We have internet now--We can see, hear, and research anything we'd ever want to know about any animal in the world.  I think animal jails are a very sad thing.  For every one that "survives captivity" there are probably scores that don't.

I have a huge appreciation for smells.  I marvel at how smells work.  How can there be such a huge array of scents in our world--Each one different and easily identifiable from the other?  I like to smell flowers.  I feel that their bright displays are reaching out and doing salesmanship on me and urging me to smell them.  Sometimes an intriguing scent wafts across my receptors and I go on the hunt until I find it.  Great smells are one of my favorite pleasures.

Sorry if this has been part rant, but I just wanted to offer a little taste of my appreciation for things.  I don't know what brought it on--Just roll with it.  Better yet, add your own favorite thing in a comment below!

0 comments: