The Week in Review

I would say it's been an action-packed two weeks since my last blog post, but technically that wouldn't be accurate because I posted a poem a few days ago.  It's not the same as a real blog post though, so that's what I'm here to do.

I can't really think about anything significant that happened last weekend.  Sue was out at one of the best JW assembly meetings they have in the Tacoma Dome both Saturday and Sunday so I was really just hanging around.

One thing that did happen was a little garage sale browsing with Sarah on Saturday.  Her mom was out of town visiting her friend over on the Spokane side.  (I remember how I used to treasure those weeks when I was still married to her--They were like a vacation to me back then!)  Anyway, we both made a pretty good score at the first one we stopped at.  She's on a perpetual hunt for anything from The Babysitters Club.  She has a pretty extensive collection going already and carries a list of books that she still needs with her all the time "just in case".  These people had two large dolls (18" tall?) of characters from The Babysitters Club series still in the box.  While they weren't totally complete, they were in pretty good shape.  She got them both for $11.

I bought two wheelbarrow wheels.  I know--Big woo huh?  Thing is, they were brand spanking new airless urethane wheels with grease fittings and the works.  I paid them $5 each for them.  I found them online at $65 each!  This was perfect because we have two wheelbarrows--One has a tire that refuses to hold air for long, and the other one has a totally worn-out axle hole in the wheel.  Neither of them had a provision to grease them like the new ones do either.  Hey, it's a guy thing.

Tuesday was a wood-gathering day.  I responded to a guy on Craigslist that was giving away used cedar shingles.  What he was really doing was shrewdly-coordinating a cleanup at a job site.  Basically, we showed up at a spot and followed him back to a house he and his employees were re-roofing.  The shingles were basically all over the ground.  With Keith helping, we filled the whole pickup in no time.  I think it's safe to say that we are pretty well set for kindling now. But that's not all--We also stopped in at my folks' house a little earlier and filled the whole truck with used 5/4 cedar decking.  We did it mainly for our fire pit out back, but a lot of it is actually pretty decent and reusable (with some trimming of course).  Two truckloads of wood in one day.  It's safe to say we did a lot of work in a pretty short time loading all that up.

Thursday wasn't a good day for Suz--She backed her Scion into my truck.  She didn't hurt it too bad.  I won't go into much detail because she already covered it in her blog.  My truck needs a new tail light bucket now though.  She must have hit it just right, or it was ready to break anyway.  It's funny the lens didn't break--It just broke all four of the mounting holes off of the "bucket" it screws into.

It's a whole different neighborhood we have going here now.  So much activity!  Kevin and his boys (and now Shirley too) had already moved in across the street from Denny, but since the DeBellings have arrived the activity between the three houses is really high.  It's not very safe from this standpoint:  Now the front yards are the playgrounds.  There are bikes and toys everywhere all the time.  Now nothing ever seems to happen in the back yards.  I swear--When I drive by their house at 5:30am to go to work, it looks more like I'm driving through someones back yard.  There are also kids darting into the street all the time.  Sue has tried and tried to get the message through to them all (the parents mostly) that the street is not ours, nor is it a driveway or safe zone.  There have already reportedly been a close call or two...

Today will be a stay-home chore day.  Apparently I have a past-due item on my honey-do list...

0 comments: