The Poet Strikes Once Again

I decided a little ways back that it's way past due that I play with verse in my blog. Yes, it's been quite a while since I sat down and matched the sounds of similar words to tell a short story.

Syllabic flow is what I have the most fun with. I probably should have spent more time in English class with all the proper usages of punctuation though. I don't know why I enjoy playing with various forms of rhymes, but I do. Sometimes it comes out quick and "jumps" onto the screen (remember when we used to say paper?) and other times it takes a few weeks.

This is one of the latter:
I found myself choosing a wife one year,
but I'm not really sure as to why.
I think it was mostly a matter of age,
and that we both feared the years passing by.

The early years proved to be happy and fun
and our beautiful daughter was born;
but as I took part in her life and her growth
my marriage grew lackluster and worn.

The end of our union eventually grew near
and we grappled with what we should do,
and although neither wanted to make the first move
It was over and both of us knew.

I slowly gathered needed things
that I felt I had to own.
All the things that I would need
to exist in the world alone.

I thought myself a happy man
because I was single and free,
but I never knew what the future held
or where I was destined to be.

Then out of the blue (or so it seemed)
a woman I saw every day
suddenly struck me differently,
and she shone in a whole new way.

It was weird the way I suddenly noticed her
even though she had always been near me.
It was like I had been blind all my life
and then I could suddenly see.

Our feelings grew stronger as time went by;
our likes and our interests much the same.
It seemed the more things of each other we learned
the more complete we became.
It was almost an inevitable thing
that we join and become man and wife,
and so that's exactly what happened:
Married--And best friends for life.
So as I sit here and reflect on events
that led both of us to this place,
I have to wonder how close we both came
to never having met face to face.
Just one little thing done differently
by just one of us at any one time,
would have changed the whole course of events
and I would not be sitting here with this rhyme.

0 comments: