Another Sign of the TImes

Technology has changed a lot of things about our lives--That's very common knowledge.  We'd be lost without our computers, cell phones, televisions, GPS, iPod... The list goes on and on and on.  Technology has also driven us into a wireless frenzy.  Everything now is wireless if it can be made to be wireless.  The first thing was our phones--Now practically everything is wireless.

What we don't really think about is how these kinds of things have ripple effects.

Have you ever thought about how many things that have been rendered obsolete by our tech-ish toys?  That's a huge list itself.  With regard to technology, anything analog is history.  Analog cell phones fell quite a while back.  People that owned analog phones were forced into the digital world if they wanted to retain their beloved phones.  But even that list isn't what I'm talking about here.

I'm talking about furniture.

Technology has rendered furniture obsolete?  Well, one particular item, yes.  This was reported a while back on the news, but I was reminded by it again this morning when I was perusing the Free section of our local Craigslist ads.  The item:  The entertainment center.  It has been rendered useless and obsolete by the sheer size of the newest televisions.  They simply will not fit into our old entertainment centers.  I think the biggest TV you could feasibly shoehorn into one was a 32", and that was pushing it.  For most it was a 27" TV.  Nowadays, TV's are so big they can only fit on top of furniture.

This morning I ran across this ad and I did a screenshot of it so you click it and see it full-sized.  This is beautiful oak furniture, and very high quality too.  I've seen these items in person at the store (my ex and I bought other items from this same line).  It's sad that it's come to giving stuff like this away:

It's just another sign of the times I guess.