A Different Path

Here's a little thing I wrote at work yesterday.  I was sitting there and had a fleeting thought wash over me.  Every now and then I notice with peculiar intensity all the things I'm surrounded by.  The noise, the grit, the smells, the air quality, the temperature--you name it.  I wonder to myself:

"Where would I be right now if I would have went to college?"


A Different Path
Apathetic
here I sit.
I can't quite shake the feeling;
Wondering long,
"Where'd I go wrong?"
and staring at the ceiling.
Much more I'd earn
if I had learned
way more while back in school;
I'd likely be
well off and free
had I never played the fool.
The money goes
to all of those
that prove that they were scholars;
If high school's tops
and the learning stops
we'll never see big dollars.
I can't go back
to change my track
and right my stupid wrongs;
Instead I sit
and reflect a bit
writing melancholy songs.
Rick Williams

Maybe I'm just a tortured artist in my own right and I need my substandard surroundings to really shine. Maybe if I was a successful white collar worker I'd be even more dissatisfied than I am now.

Yeah, just go with the flow I guess...

2 comments:

Sue Z Q said...

There are lots of unemployed and underemployed college graduates out there too. College doesn't guarantee success, it's just more education. Don't beat yourself up, you have what you need and are providing for yourself and others adequately, that's all anyone needs, nothing more. Sustenance and covering. the more you have - the more you have to lose.

Maggie said...

How about that? Suzie already said what I was gonna say. Flynn has a bachelor's degree and we're not exactly sitting pretty. College is a myth. All it did for us was a slight improvement in jobs. But it never helped us in California when the bottom fell out of the job market. But it did get the Microsoft job. You need a degree to even get looked at there and Bill Gates doesn't have a college degree except the onehonored on him. go now and get one in photography.