Recapping the Year of 2010

It's a new year!  A lot has happened in the past year, and fortunately I have my blog to refer to as a sort of timeline and journal of all that has transpired.

This was our first full year together as a married couple.  We still have times when we get on each others nerves of course, but then who doesn't?  I have never been a very good communicator, but fortunately Suzie is.  She totally gets on my nerves (in a good way) because she is so good at forcing me to talk about stuff I'd rather not (or don't know how to) face.  In the end, the uncomfortable situation is past and we're stronger for it.  Previously I found walking away from a hassle was my preferred method of addressing any uncomfortable situation.  Thanks, Suz.  Keep after me.

There have been a lot of changes to our neighborhood in the last year.  The DeBelling family moved here from Utah, Kevin and Shirley moved into the same duplex the DeBellings inhabit, Rachyl and Tony are living in their own house that they bought, Denny and Heather have a home to themselves and has been completely remodeled.  Joe started kindergarten this year, and none of the kids are in diapers any longer!

The Harley has been all but mothballed.  Have I lost interest?  No, not really... It's more of a case of my current interest having shifted to photography.  It's just a passing thing.  It seems that whenever we had any spare time to do anything we wanted to do this year we always jumped in the car and went on a picture-taking junket.

Speaking of photography, that has been our "big thing" this year.  April Fool's Day marked the beginning of my 365 Photo Project.  Since that day I have not once failed take a picture each day.  There have been times when I had to wait until the next day to actually post the picture I took for whatever reason, and there have been times I posted pure crap, but I haven't yet neglected to fulfill the daily challenge of finding something to take a picture of.  As of today I'm on Day 283.  I think both of us feel the same way about our 365 projects at this point:  When they're over we'll both miss the challenge of pulling a rabbit out of our photography hat, but yet we'll probably both like not having the daily requirement we have to meet.  With a little more time between our picture taking we'll be more apt to make it a fun experience.  I dunno.  I wouldn't be surprised if I don't start some other kind of picture blog to take its place.  Time will tell.  Speaking of other blogs, I started another photo blog this last year called Leftovers.  I have put some interesting things in there since it started.  It was my place to drop more "artsy-fartsy" pictures when I played with them.

My health has been okay this year with the exception of my right ankle.  My life-long flat feet have finally risen their ugly heads and started causing me problems.  Now I have orthotics in my shoes to help hold my feet correctly and they have helped a lot.  There is always an ongoing fight to keep my oral health in check.  I've always had bad teeth and always will, but at least I have a new dentist and I feel it's a good one.  I'm very glad to get out of the "acme school of quack dentistry" that I was in for so long.

This year I had Sushi for the first time, completely changed the look of my blog (created a new one actually), went inside a Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall, bought a canoe, and went to Kauai for the first time in my life. We've taken small trips all over Washington, and in the last year I've probably seen more of the state than I have in my whole life.  The Okanogan country area, the North Cascades Highway Loop, Ocean Shores, the small towns of Roslyn and Ronald, and countless other wandering moments.  I was surprised to find that I had blogged poems 11 times during this last year!

My son Mark made it up here this year and we were able to get together for a short visit.  Even though our time together was only a handful of hours, it was made into a memorable event by the fact that I secretly brought my mom with me.  They had never met previous to that, and it was a huge deal for her!

My dad is not doing so well.  He's in good spirits, but he has no energy and no breathing power.  I think he has smoked for something like 50 years or more--I'm not sure.  The slightest little thing winds him and starts him wheezing.  Now he was just diagnosed with prostate cancer.  It seems they caught it early.  Nobody is very worried about it--at least outwardly.  My family has always been kind of a "keep to yourself" bunch, so in reality it may be worrying the hell out of them.  My mom insists all is well.  I ain't quite buying it.  He's not exactly a big, healthy man to begin with.

This as been a Facebook year.  I can't believe how much that online site has tied people together.  It has found "lost" people and united them, and in a lot of ways has brought people together that don't see each other much.

This is an exciting start to a new year as far as travel goes.  Sarah is in India as we speak, and loving every moment of it.  We are all set up for a whirlwind 4-day vacation to Iceland this March and we're definitely looking forward to that.

Who knows what else the coming year may bring?

0 comments: